Thai people are mainly buddhist. We go quite often to WAT which means temple to pay respect to buddha images, make a wish, do meditation etc.
On speicial occasions, we love to visit 9 temples in a day to make a merit. Why it has to be 9? 9 in thai we pronounce “GAO” which also means step forward or to progress. There are 9 most sacred temples in Bangkok, each name of temple has its own good meaning, for example Wat Suthat, that means vision, so we believe that visiting this temple could bring us a good vision and future.
Getting from one to another temple is easy and you can enjoy the famous bangkok transportation such as, local boat or tuk tuk. Let’s see how thais do :
1. Wat Phrakaew (The Emerald Buddha Temple)
- Blessing: To have wealth and prosperity. Wat Phrakaew is the most important temple in Thailand.
- Walk to Ta Chang pier to get the boat across Chao Phraya river, 3 baht to Wat rakhang.
2. Wat Rakhang khositaram
- Blessing : To be famous and loved as Rakhang means a bell, so when we ring it, it gives loud sound.
- Take the boat for both Wat Arun and Wat Kalayanamitr, 30 baht (It’s the price for 2 temples.)
3. Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn)
- Blessing : A glorious life as Arun means the sun.
- Take the same boat to Wat Kalayanamitr.
4. Wat Kalayanamitr
- Blessing: To have good friends and safe journey as kalayanamitr means a good friend.
- Take the same boat back to Wat Arun, then take the boat across Chao Phraya river to Ta Tien pier, then walk to Wat Pho.
5. Wat Pho (Temple of Reclining Buddha)
- Blessing: To live peacefully and happily as Pho means a bodhi tree.
- Take Tuk Tuk or Taxi (not more than 50 baht without the traffic jam.) to Wat Chana Songkhram.
6. Wat Chana Songkhram
- Blessing: to overcome all obstacles as Chana means to win.
- Walk or take Tuk Tuk or Taxi (not more than 50 baht without the traffic jam.) to Wat Bowonniwet Vihara.
7. Wat Bowonniwet Vihara
- Blessing: To have good things in life.
- Take Tuk Tuk or Taxi (not more than 50 baht without the traffic jam.) to Wat Saket.
8. Wat Saket (The Golden Mount)
- Blessing: To have auspicious vision
- Walk to Wat Suthat.
9. Wat Suthat and the giant swing
- Blessing: To have great visions as that means vision.
You should go early to make sure that you can complete 9 temples. These temples open around 8.30 – 16.00. It’s quite tiring, but it’s really worth visiting!
Is it ok if you can’t do all the temples in one day? It is really ok, there’s nothing strict. The most important thing is how we behave or do things, not how many temples we visit a day. It doesn’t matter what religion you are, as you visit bangkok, these temples are all magnificent and they could make your trip in Bangkok unforgettable!
Check out my Instagram: https://instagram.com/myhiddenparis/
Like my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/myhiddenparis