Mostly, the main goal of tourists in Thailand is to explore the magnificent islands in the south of the country.
I’ve been so many times in Phuket, Krabi and Pang Nga, I can’t deny their beauty, white sandy beach with crystal clear water, but…too many tourists in high-season got me enjoy less and sometimes ignore the charm of these places.
I recently discovered new islands in Trang province, south of Krabi. In the center of Trang, I had a feeling of Bangkok 50 years ago, old beautiful buildings, awesome and cheap food, friendly locals etc. I saw only 4-5 tourists passing by, it was unbelievably cool! And Trang is the place that will introduce you to the magic islands: Koh Mook and Koh Ngai
How to get to Trang:
Air Asia, Nok air always have a promotion to Trang, believe it or not, it’s cheaper than taking bus!
How to get to Koh Mook and Koh Ngai:
- Nok air offers a service “Fly’n’ Ferry” to take you to the islands after arriving at Trang airport.
- Tour counters at the airport offers the transport from the airport to the pier and the pier to the islands.
- If you would like to visit Trang, Around the train station, there are many tour counters that offer the transport to the islands (350-500 baht per person)
- Get on the van from the airport or the center of Trang, then get a local boat (20 baht) at 12.30, make sure to arrive before because there’s only one boat per day!
From Koh Mook to Koh Ngai:
There’s a service from your hotel, but it’s quite expensive. I recommend to see with local tour counters on the island. It takes 45 minutes by longtail boat from one to another.
Koh Mook to Koh Ngai to Trang Airport:
I recommend also to see and negotiate with local tour counters on the island, otherwise taking the service of the hotel would be the most comfortable way (and pricy!!)
Koh in Thai means an island, and Mook means the pearl, so welcome to the island of pearls. There are inhabitants on this island, a school, a hospital, a local market, many fisherman villages, and that makes Koh Mook so alive!
They are mainly 2 beaches, the most beautiful one is on the tip of the peninsula where Koh Mook Sivalai Beach Resort situed. This hotel has idyllic location, I spent a night there, it was so relaxing, the staff was so friendly and helpful, we could see their smiles from far away
The other one is Charlie Beach, also a quiet and charming beach. I recommend a restaurant on the left of the beach (face the sea), you can get an amazing view and cheap delicious thai food.
- Rent a motorcycle to explore the evergreen landscape, beautiful beaches, local villages…
- Visit the emerald cave in the morning, avoid to go there after 10 am, it is so crowded in the cave.
- Squid Fishing, you will have an awesome dinner after!
Koh Ngai or Koh Hai is actually situed in Krabi, but strangely to get there from Trang is nearer. No inhabitant on this island, there are like 10 hotels and all with the sea view. Even if there are not many activities to do on the island, I enjoyed observing many rare birds and plenty of hermit crabs on the beach, it was a real relaxing vacation.
I stayed at Coco Cottage, and I was in love with it. Every details are so creative with ecodesign. The staff was very nice, the food was so delicious, I couldn’t ask for more! Take a look at these photos, and you will know why I love this place!
Check out my Instagram: https://instagram.com/myhiddenparis/
Like my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/myhiddenparis